Notre Dame du Port church
The Church is situated at the end of Guisth’au street, upper Port Joinville. It is one of the 2 churches of the Parish of St Amand. It was built around 1827/1828, and enlarged in 1887. It included the present nave. The spheric bell tower has an eastern aspect, a taste of long trips abroad... The nave is made with a wooden ceilling where hang 3 scale-model frigates, ex-votos from the 19th century. The transept choir , on your left, is occupied by a large organ with 1500 pipes made in 1996.
The Romanesque Church, ruling over the village of Saint Sauveur - the first town built on the Island - is one of the numerous religious buildings which flowered a bit everywhere as a result of a spiritual movement in year One Thousand. It dates from the 12th century and was erected on the site of an 11th century basilica. This granite stoned building appears in a chart for the 1st time in year 1040. Its 17 meters pryramidal belfry, topped before with a long arrow, used to be used as a navigational landmak. In November 1953, lightening struck the tower. The present nave was built in 1857 in neo-gothic style, the older roman nave being totally destroyed.
La Meule Chapel
Dedicated to Notre Dame de Bonne Nouvelle, this chapel has been overlooking the harbour of la Meule for nine centuries. It is one of the oldest religious heritage of the island. It was erected during the 11th century. The turn of the last millennium was a time of apocalyptic panic. Lords and war lords worried for the end of the world and the Last Judgment. They promised feverishly to build churches and chapels. Year 1000 passed, nothing happened. People had to keep up to their promises. Two brothers Herbert and Béranger, from Brem/Mer were given land on the island in order to build a religious building. They helped monks from the Abbey of St Martin de Marmoutier to re-build the old church of St sauveur and they erected three little chapels, one of them being the chapel standing over the Meule harbour. Cited as St Marie Chapel in 1040, its "real name" Notre dame de Bonne Nouvelle appeared for the 1st time in 1770. Notre Dame de Bonne Nouvelle here for the seamen and invoked by them when in the midst of a storm and praised when a boat is back home safely.